Thursday, April 20, 2006

I Want To Do Stand-Up Comedy

I Want To Do Stand-Up Comedy

I've decided that I want to do stand-up comedy. I'll start just like all the greats did. Doing open mic nights until I can get a set at a real bar/club. Just do sets like that for like 5-10 years until I get noticed. Get a spot on some obscure cable program. Maybe that lands me a Letterman appearance. Then people start booking me like crazy. Maybe Fox offers me a sitcom deal, but the sitcom never airs. In any case, I have some real money, so I put out my first major CD. You know how it goes.

If you do stand-up though, you have to be patient if you have any grandiose dreams of becoming famous. Most comedians do comedy for 10 years or more before they start getting noticed.

What inspired this decision of mine? Well, I listen to comedians over and over and over. I study their delivery. I study their chosen styles. Over the past several months, I've dissected Bill Cosby, Steve Martin, George Carlin, Jerry Seinfeld, Brian Regan, Lewis Black, David Cross, Dave Attell, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Dane Cook, Mitch Hedberg, and my recent favorite, Mike Birbiglia.

I dream of being on a list of names like that. Will I ever get there? Well, that's why they call it a dream. You don't know it's unreal unless you wake up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home